Thursday 26 May 2011

Designing a floor

Tricky one that. How to design what is essentially thin strips of wood. There is of course more to it than that. The first thing I did was create some basic concept images of what I wanted my floor to look like. This was simple enough although as I later found out this would pose a problem.




As you can see from my top design There are areas where the floorboards have to be bent up like something has been crawling underneath the floor and burst up through it. The problem of course is how to make this practically viable.

We have been granted the services of a veteran set designer named Henry Jones. His previous work includes the Neil Marshall film series The Descent and some ingenious advertising work for Sony among other things.
So the first thing I did was to run my idea past him and ask how he would approach such a challenge.
 His advice was incredibly enlightening and a great insight into the way set designers and builders work professionally. He told me to first of all lay down a floor covering of inter-locking chipboard as would be used in the creation of loft flooring. The flats would then be placed on this floor construction. Next he said to mark out my lines, measure and cut individual floorboards out of MDF and bend them into shape by soaking them with water and angling them for a few days to get the bends right or by steam bending them with something like a wallpaper steam stripper. Though this process would have given me highly effective and wonderful looking results, I simply didn't have the time or money to accomplish the task especially considering I was contributing large amount of my time to helping construct the rest of the set.

This of course left me with the problem of how to acheive the look I needed. I talked to one of our course tutors Simon to see what his take on the floor design would be. He came up with an elegant solution that I beleive would work. He suggested Laying the MDF neat on the floor to create my floorspace and then put blocks of wood disguised as growths underneath bits of the MDF cut to shape. This would allow them to raise without needing to steam bend the wood.

I later went back to talk with Henry and proposed Simon's idea. He saw the value in it but had since come up with another idea that I found to be the most appealing so far. He suggested Laying ordinary floor flat and then snapping lengths of wood that correspond in width with the fake floorboards and holding them in place with angled wood similar to how Simon had suggested.
This I decided would work best and be most time saving and cost effective.

The design for the flooring in the Living room was relatively simple as it has no major features the way the bedroom does. Here is my final concept work for the Living Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment