Thursday 26 May 2011

My flooring.

Once the walls were complete it was time for me to start work on my flooring.
This process went much as I had assumed it would.

My first task was to lay down sheets of mdf lifting up the edges of the set in order to place them without having to use a jigsaw more than was needed. Once these were in place I used gaffer tape to hold them in alignment so that other group members working would not disturb the gaps too much.

With the mdf in place I then went over the entire  surface area with covent garden primer in order to help when it came to actually painting the floor.



 This picture shows the MDF flooring in place.

Once I had the floor primed I had to work ut where my floorboards would be. To do this I found the dead centre of the set using a measuring tape and then ran a line directly down the center of the set. This would be my center point from which I could align the floorboard markings. as Gregor's room gets narrower towards one end I had to get help with working out he dimensions from my course leader Andy Stead who help massively with the maths. Once I had my measurements which worked out to be about 6 inches at the narrower end of the room I was able to starting from my center point and with the help of fellow group member Jess use a chalk line to measure the seperations between each board.

This was a process of us both working from the center point with tape measures of our different widths, running chalk across some string then holding it taut on the floor at the correct distance plucking it at the floor like a bow string. THis left a straight line of chalk across the length of the floor giving us our lines.

When I had these I masked them off in gaps of a board each time and started painting on my base coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment